San Diego

Your Guide

Manual to enjoy the Baja

To return from Mexico

U.S. citizens and lawful U.S. residents should become familiar with the process of traveling to Mexico and returning to the U.S. before leaving the country.

To return to the U.S. from Mexico by land, sea or air, U.S. citizens must present a U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card or enhanced driver's license (available in some states). Citizens can no longer use just proof of U.S. citizenship, like an embossed birth certificate, with a government-issued photo ID.

More information is available from the U.S. State Department.

Lawful U.S. permanent residents can use their Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551), issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, or other evidence of permanent resident status to apply for entry into the United States.

Detailed information is available from the publication: "Know Before You Go"

This publication details what items you may bring into the United States. This list changes frequently so you should consult the guide often.

Help for tourists

Baja California has a special uniformed police force to help tourists. It's called the Metropolitan Tourist Police and its officers operate in traditional tourist areas in Tijuana, Rosarito Beach and Ensenada.

The officers are bilingual and respond to any domestic or foreign tourist who calls to report a crime or ask for emergency assistance.

    Bilingual visitor assistance hotline, 24 hours a day: 078
    Emergencies: 066 or 911
    To make an anonymous crime report: 089

U.S. citizens visiting Baja California and Baja California Sur may also contact the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana for assistance:

Paseo de Las Culturas and Camino al Aeropuerto in Mesa de Otay. From Mexico dial 01.664. 977-2000.

In case of an after-hours emergency involving U.S. citizens, you may contact the U.S. Consulate Duty Officer. From Mexico dial 001.619. 692-2154.

The U.S. Consulate's site.



  • Facebook

  • SanDiegoRed

  • New

  • Best

    Recent News more