What to do in case you lose your passport or it’s stolen

Here are some some tips to be able to regain entry to the United States

The most common problem that the U.S. Consulate is faced with, is lost or stolen passports of U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Mexico.

What should you do in this case?

In case of an emergency, a consulate officer may issue you a temporary passport within a 24 hour period, but this type of document is only valid for a limited time, and must be replaced with a normal passport prior to you traveling the next time.

If your passport is stolen, you must first file a report with a Public Ministry from the state where it occurred and obtain that report as proof.

Then you must call 1-877-487-2778 to get information of the consulate or embassy nearest you.

This phone line is open and toll free from 8a.m.-10p.m. except on holidays.

Next, you must fill out and sign a DS-64 form and mail it out to: U.S. Department of State, Passport Services, Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section, 1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500 en Washington, DC 20036.

If you go in person to a consulate or embassy, you must present the following documentation at the module:

Form DS-11: U.S. passport application (this form cannot be submitted by mail)

Form DS-64: lost or stolen declaration form.

Below is a link where you can find a list of all fees depending on your situation and further information regarding passport application. You can also contact the National Passport Information Center.





  • Facebook

  • SanDiegoRed

  • New

  • Best

    Recent News more