Guide: what a U.S. newborn needs to cross from Tijuana to San Diego

Here's what has changed and what you need to do to cross with your newborn

Those who live in the Tijuana border know quite well that it is very common to have family and friends who live in San Diego, many Tijuana residents have children who were born on the "other side". However, there are some important things to keep in mind if this is the case.

From time to time, the U.S. Embassy as well as the U.S. Border Patrol (CBP) updates the necessary documents that parents with their newborn baby in San Diego must carry in order to cross the Tijuana-San Ysidro Port of Entry.

The most recent update, according to CBP's official website, was on July 21 of this year. But don't worry, we will tell you what has changed and what you have to do to cross with your newborn without mishaps.

Americans under 15 years of age arriving by land or by sea from Canada or Mexico can present the following documents:

1. Birth certificate (copy or original)
2. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (copy or original)
3. Certificate of naturalization

But if your child has just been born and the birth certificate is still being processed and has not arrived at the Department of Vital Records, the birth certificate issued by the hospital will be accepted.

On the other hand, they warn that the following papers are NOT accepted to prove the nationality of the little one:

"The following are not considered proof of citizenship:"
1. Baptismal papers.
2. Voter's cards
3. Social Security card

To obtain a U.S. passport you can make an appointment on this web page. If you have an emergency and need to obtain your documents urgently, you can select the option "I have an international emergency".

Agent dances happily at the Tijuana-San Diego border checkpoint


  • Facebook

  • SanDiegoRed

  • New

  • Best

    Recent News more