Labor Day 2023 will leave millions of dollars in economic revenue in Tijuana

The president of CANACO Tijuana, Julián Palombo, also said that the 2023 summer vacation period has exceeded sales by 12% compared to 2022

Great news for tourism businesses in Tijuana! Labor Day will leave an economic revenue of millions of dollars in the region, said the President of the National Chamber of Commerce, Services, and Tourism (CANACO-Servytur) of Tijuana, Julián Palombo Saucedo.

Palombo Saucedo said that the long weekend in the United States will consist of 4 days. Adding this to the summer season, it will bring around 80,000 visitors to the region who will visit different areas of Tijuana.

He explained that expenses per capita are $85 dollars, which is why the economic revenue in this border city could reach $6,800,000 dollars.

He highlighted that 85% of visitors are Hispanics coming from the states of Nevada, Arizona, and California, while the remaining 15% are Americans or from other countries.

He highlighted that the main factors why people visit Tijuana are the different healthcare services, gastronomy, food and medicine products, handicraft purchases, car repair, and visiting Mercado Hidalgo, Playas de Tijuana, and friends and family living in the city.

In addition, the president of CANACO Tijuana stated that the 2023 summer vacation season, which is 2 months long, exceeded sales by 12% compared to last year. With this, the economic revenue has recovered by 75% after the economic collapse caused by COVID-19 in 2020.

This is why Julián Palombo is optimistic about 2024, a political year in Mexico, regarding economic-touristic matters in Tijuana.

Labor Day

Labor Day is equal to Workers' Day in Mexico. Americans celebrate this holiday on the first Monday of September each year.

This is why it is a tradition for Americans to visit the other side of border to make the best of the long weekend by visiting the tourist areas of Baja California such as Tijuana, Playas de Rosarito, Valle de Guadalupe, and Ensenada.

Labor Day became a National Holiday in 1894, but thirty states were already celebrating it by then.

It was created thanks to members of the labor movement who organized strikes and protests in order to improve work conditions in the midst of the Industrial Revolution, according to the History Channel.

With information from The Pioneer Woman.

RELATED VIDEO: Here's how you pay with the palm of your hand in certain stores


  • Facebook

  • SanDiegoRed

  • New

  • Best

    Recent News more